Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Goldfinch

Last week held some wonderfully warmer days.
While I lounged on the couch, recovering from a cold,
I left the door open to hear bird activity in the back yard.
This American Goldfinch spent the better part of the day
perched in the neighbor’s maple tree singing away.
I know he was advertising for a female, 
but I enjoyed it, too. He was very well camouflaged,
blending with the emerging leaves and seed pods (samara).
I borrowed the description from
A Field Guide to Western Birds by Roger Tory Peterson.



“Song: sustained, clear, light
...Canary-like” melody
singing just for me?






3 comments:

Helen Campbell said...

I love listening to the birds. I sat on the back deck Saturday afternoon and read a book, listening to the bees buzzing and birds chirping. Great haiku and photos, Kim!

GlorV1 said...

What a beautiful Haiku for this Gold Finch that sits singing. Just wonderful Kim and he probably is singing for you because he knew you left the door open for him.:) Very nicely done. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy visiting your blog Kim, because I learn the names of the birds I'm seeing in our yard. Isn't he magnificent? I love this time of the year. Happy HuMp Day! Great Haiku and photos too.