Sunday, December 18, 2011

 On a Sunday morning...


One of my favorite things about Christmas is sitting alone before daylight
with no lights on except those on the Christmas tree.
It's quiet. I sip my first cup of coffee.
My eyes travel from one ornament to another. 
I think about the person who gave it or made it.
Agne's crocheted snowflakes.
Mom's and my felt people: Raggedy Ann and Andy, the Dutch girl and boy.
Nancy's tin rose and star.
Grandma Collopy's yarn snowman.
Nell's and Suzanne's angels.
The muslin angel I made for Mom.
Joan's sparkly dried starfish.
Esther's hand-painted balls.
Debbie's ribbon ornaments.
Katy's heart.
The chicken with a "Merry Christmas" banner in its beak.
So many memories.
And I whisper, "Thank You for blessing my life with these people."
Christmas doesn't bring my family together anymore.
Many of these friends are gone.
But for this season, an ornament on a tree
brings them all back.


No comments: